Sunday, April 28, 2013

DIY Plant Terrariums


Hello everyone!

I always wanted to make this and since Mother's Day is nearing I decided to make some because my mom loves plants. I also decided to make some for a dear co-worker of mine who is retiring this summer.

Here are the items you'll need:

- Glass jars
- Soil
-  Small white rocks
- Variety sizes of all kinds of rocks
-  Plants
- Activated charcoal (Optional)
- Decorations (Optional)

Step-by-step instructions:


1. Get some clean glass jars. Glass jars can be bought in almost any stores. I bought all of mine from the dollar store and the bigger jars and Mason jars were from Target and Walmart.


2. Get your potting soil, white rocks, and other rocks ready. I bought my potting soil under a dollar at Walmart and I also got my white rocks from there as well. I got my other rocks from the dollar store.


3. I bought all of my plants under $3 from Walmart as well. Majority of the plants I bought were fern, ivy, bush, and other small house plants that can fit into the small jars that I bought. It worked out wonderful. I had enough plants for all of my jars. I was worried that some plants might be too big to fit into the jars but when you start to take out the plants from their original pots and soil some of the plants separated.


4. Take the plants out of their pot. Make sure to take out all of the soil down to the roots as much as possible. Do the same process for all of the plants.


5. Pour in the white rocks in the pot first.

6. Second, pour in soil but not so much that it cover the entire pot because you'll need room for your plants, rocks, and other decorations. Also, I've read that others use activated charcoal to help clean and sustain the water but I didn't use any. Although you are more than welcome to use it and should pour it in after you pour in the white rocks and before you pour in the soil.

7. Put your plants in gently. Then fill the pot with more soil to cover up the plant's roots.

8. Then place some rocks on top to finish the look. All kinds of decorations can be added as well.

For example, I added ropes, I used cupcake toppers, and made some of my own cut-outs. I wrote down all of the plant's name on the cupcake toppers and cut-outs that was placed in the pot so I wouldn't forget what kind of plants they were.



Happy DIY plant terrarium making! Feel free to share some of your ideas or your own plant terrariums!

No comments:

Post a Comment